Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Air conditioner comes on for 10 seconds or so and kicks back off again, any ideas?

On Aug 30, 3:40 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:22:10 -0000, Mike
wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have a central air conditioning unit in my ranch-style home (full
basement also). Yesterday the AC just kicked off randomly. I checked
the thermostat and it seemed to be functioning ok (it's digital). I
went downstairs to the power switch dedicated to the central air unit
and turned it off, then back on again. The AC kicked back on, stayed
on and started blowing cool air, then kicked back off again 2 minutes
later.

I suspected there was an airflow problem of some type (filter, etc)
but that doesn't appear to be case, at least not as far as I can
tell.

Are there any other common causes for this type of behavior?

Thank you for any responses,
Mike

The compressor may be drawing to much current and a bi-metallic
safety switch is shutting it down or the cooling fan for the coil is
not functioning and causing a over temp fault.

I'm not really an AC expert, so the items I see to check:
1) Fan on the compressor unit outside the house
2) Ensure nothing is blocking airflow in or around the outside unit
3) Compressor drawing too much current (any way to check this, I do
have a multimeter)