Posted to sci.electronics.repair
storan4wd storan4wd is offline

Default Advice on Gould DSO please...

On Aug 30, 10:06 pm, "N Cook" wrote:
storan4wd wrote in message

oups.com...

I have just got a Gould 465 DSO (same as 420 & 450 but 100MHz
bandwidth).

With the input grounded the trace is never dead straight (as with an
analogue scope) but exhibits a very, very tiny amount of vertical
noise. It doesn't alter with channel sensitivity and is the same on
both channels, so I'm guessing it's due to ADC error. Everything else
about the scope works perfectly.

It's livable with but if anyone can tell me whether this is normal
behaviour for these scopes (or other DSOs in general) I'd appreciate
it.

Bob

If its invariant noise then surely it must be noise on the final "Y" stage
supply rail. Try adding a HV electrolytic to see if it has any effect.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Thank you for the suggestion, I see where you're coming from but
everything else on screen (menus, grid, measurements etc.) are all
rock solid. I therefore suspected that the problem did not lie in the
deflection system.

Bob