Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Etching

On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, scutt wrote:
I am helping my 11 year old nephew make his second knife ( First attempt
won him 1st place at the Fair :-). I want to keep introducing new skills
so the plan is to try etch in a simple design on this knife . The steel
is an old leaf spring . Does anyone know what to use as a resist and
which acid would work for this application ?
Ken Cutt

Bee's wax will make a decent resist. Paint it on or dip the blade into
it while it is fluid, them scratch the design into the wax. I don't
remember which acid I used so many years ago, but it may have been
nitric