Posted to alt.home.repair
md md is offline

Default TOILET QUESTION

On Aug 30, 10:29 am, (.-.MINDY.-.) wrote:
Hi- I am a lurker here. The flapper in the toilet tank operates properly
when flushed by going up... but when it goes back to place it goes on
its side as it is filling. I reached in to straighten it while the tank
fills completely.... but I still hear a sound.. which is like the ending
sound of the tank filling... & also the water in the filled bowl shakes.
What I want to know is... is what is occuring using water? That I will
see an increase in my water bill? Is it do to the flapper not being in
the proper position? Thanks so much for any info you can give me.
.Mindy

Not a plumber :-) But there could a few things. I've seen crud on
the the flapper land
the prohibits a good seal. The flapper could be damaged... easy to
replace. The
shutoff valve at the end of the float may not be 'snapping' closed or
it could also be
damaged. (If the float doesn't doesn't get high enough, the value
will not close. Try bending
the float's rod down towards the water.) The valve or valve hardware
may be leaking.

Any of these things are easy to change.