Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Stain vs. Paint on Redwood

In article . com,
wrote:

Hello,

I am installing fence which is using 4x4 redwood posts for the
supporting structure. The fence will run the length of an old concrete
wall that is topped with a chain link between along my property line.
Because the fence will be abutting this wall, I will have not have
ready access to the posts once the fence is installed.

I am looking for the best way to protect (painting or staining) these
posts from weathering and rot over the long haul so that I do not have
to restain/paint them for as long as possible. Asethetic is not a key
concern since the posts will be for the most part obscured by the
concrete wall. The only portion visible will be the portion that is
above the wall and visible from through the chain link fence on my
neighbor's side.

Any suggestions? I have read that solid color alkyd stains are good
for my intended purpose, but I have no real clue on this. Also any
suggestions on products would be helpful. Thanks.

Naveen

Leave 'em naked. Nothing you put on there is going to last as long or
protect any better than the wood itself.