Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default best way to protect homemade vanity in master bath?

Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:06:28 -0400, "Rodney Taylor"
wrote:

Installing a vanity in master bath that I built myself, i am
wondering what is the best way to protect it from moisture.
Considering shellac or polyurethane any comments or suggestions?

Polyurethane. It's about the toughest finish I can think of at the
moment. Some (bathroom) products are made from alcohol which will
quickly destroy a shellac finish.

Among the one-component systems a precatalyzed lacquer would be a good
bet, but that's not something you'll find at a BORG, because it has a
very limited shelf life after the catalyst is added.

For something with reasonable durability and very easy application,
Minwax wipe-on polyurethane would be a good bet.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)