Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger_N Roger_N is offline

Default wire size and amp rating

Is the 0.128" Diameter for AWG 8 for solid or stranded wire? I calculated
the area of a .128" Dia. circle, I then calculated the diameter of wire for
1/7th that area and came up with 7 strands of 0.04838" dia. wire has the
same area as a solid 0.128" wire.

In McMaster Carr, their AWG 8, 4 conductor copper stranded wire Amp rating
ranges from 35Amps to 63Amps. This was for service cord, not really what
the OP is likely to have burried underground.

On the website linked below, the 3rd table down lists size and Amp ratings.
http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=71

RogerN

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article s.com, "Karl
Townsend" wrote:

That in turn is in another insulated jacket for underground. Each
wire is a seven stranded unit, the O.D. of this is 0.145" and each wire
measures 0.048". What's the wire size here?

Dunno. The standard for AWG8 is 0.128", AWG7 is 0.144" -- and AWG7 would
be
unusual, to say the least, for electrical wire.

--
Regards,