Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Removing rust stains in toilet

On Aug 29, 12:43 pm, Ken Knecht wrote:
Anyone have any favorite methods of removing rust stains/streaks from
toilet bowls? I tried Sno-Bol and Clorax and Lysol toilet cleaners and
those toilet 'scrubbers' on a plastic handle with little or no success.
I'm tempted to try an SOS pad but it probably would ruin the toilet. I've
read lemon juice and borax works and will pick up some borax next time
I'm in town, probably tomorrow, and try it.

Any other suggestions? I have a septic tank so must be careful what I
use.

Wonder where this is coming from? It only recently started. Water from
the faucets seems clear. I'm on well water in an agricultural area. Maybe
the toilet tank? If so, anyone have a good way to clean it out?

If you think you've exhausted the possibilities on the grocery store
shelves, try a janitorial supply house for something with some real
muscle.
Also, you're smart to go after the root of the problem, too. In an
agricultural area, it is common for mega-farm operators to irrigate
without regard to the underlying acquifer's sustainable capacity,
resulting in severe loss of water quality for well owners for miles
around. It would be prudent to have your water tested and well level
checked on a much more frequent basis to monitor any possible such
changes. Your well service professionals will then be avle to assist
you in whatever treatments seem necessary.. Good luck.

Joe