Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Baseboard: Another Question

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:50:09 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:24:57 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

If one is replacing baseboard in a room with tile floors, should one put any
sort of caulking at the baseboard/floor junction? Would the answer differ if
the room was a bathroom, where the floor will presumably get wet, as opposed
to a living room?

Thanks for any advice...the carpeting was replaced with tile some embarrasing
time back, and I really should do something about these molding-less rooms!

Art

A quarter-round molding will hide any unsightly spacing. I used
caulking in the bathroom (vinyl flooring) to keep things cleaner if
there are ever any overflows or backups, but it is optional.

Ultimate question isn't so much about water as it is about appearance.
Can you really caulk a bathroom perimeter and make it look good? Most
caulk jobs I've seen look like the cobbled together mess they are.

Again, keep it simple. The best preventative for toilet overflow is
showing everyone where shutoff valve is located and make certain it isn't
frozen open or difficult to turn.