Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What I learned about Zebrawood this week

Vince Heuring wrote:

Besides learning all about how spiral upcut bits can climb out of
router collets.

Zebrawood is *expensive*.

Zebrawood must be the worst wood in the world to surface -- tearout is
the terrible. The alternating grain makes it impossible to surface with
a planer or hand planes, save maybe for a scraper plane, which I do not
have. I believe the white and brown stripes are alternating sapwood and
heartwood. However it can be surfaced quite easily, relatively
speaking, using a hand scraper, with which I now have much experience.

Do a google news search for zebrawood and Patrick Olguin (or try O'deen or
Odeen) -- he had similar experience. His account is quite humorous to
read.