Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
kpg* kpg* is offline

Default Home Air Filter change frequency

wrote in news:1187984463.184095.237980
@r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

When a home air filter manufacturer recommends a filter change every
90 days, what duty cycle do they assume the filter wil be used?
1 hour per day?
10 hours per day?
24 hours per day?

I think they should list filter change recommendations in hours (e.g.
filter good for 300 hours of use).
(Some thermostats like my LUX have filter-life counters that show the
number of hours the filter was used since it was last changed).

These ratings are (I'm guessing) the result of internal standards
used by the manufacturer and are mainly designed to allow comparison
between their products and for advertising (you are more likely to
purchase a filter that needs changed less often, even if more
expensive).

In practice (as the owner of t dogs, 4 cats and 2 kids) I find that
every week the filter needs a good vacuuming and every month it
needs replacing - irregardless of what the package says. Point is
you need to determine what is normal for your situation and stick
to that.

I purchase the higher quality filters that claim to reduce allergens.
They are considerably more expensive (about 12 bucks) but do seem
to reduce dust in the house. Ironically the 'better' filters
would need changing more often.

Note that there are available reusable filters that you can hose
off once a month.