Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook Wayne Cook is offline

Default JD estate tractor, discovery

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:35:01 -0000, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Well, I feel dumb!

The old fellow who gave me the tractor said it was an LT350, and gave me
an operator's manual for a 350.

Last night, I deemed it "time" to pull the transaxle, which is a fairly
simple but fussy job.

By the time I'd gotten 10 years of oily grass mat stripped off
everything, it became apparent that this was a John Deere 455 tractor.

It's not 32HP, it's 22, but it runs a 60" belly mower through knee high
grass like it was 50HP.

The tranny is a Tuff Torq unit. I haven't yet uncovered any nomenclature
on the transaxle that will show me a model number.

I THINK I noticed some wiggle in the F/R linkage D-shaft connection. One
of the original respondents might be right -- this might just be a
linkage problem.

But the tranny won't keep a load of oil... every gasket leaks. So it's
time to get it out and fix everything in one pass.

Now that I actually know the model, any schematics floating around out
there?

Looks like you're in luck. From looking at John Deere's parts
catalog they have parts available for that transmission. Try looking
here

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c... geServlet_Alt