Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ixuv ixuv is offline

Default Sony STR-DB795 crackle noise in front L channel

On 28 elo, 20:34, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

That's an odd one. What might be a clue is that the next point that crackles
is always 7.5dB up on the previous point, which would suggest that it is
something 'digital', such as the volume control IC.

I agree.

I seem to have the
service manual for just about every other STR series amp from around that
time, but not the DB795, so unfortunately, I can't look any closer. However,
I would say that often, the volume control IC also does input selecting, so
it would be worth having a look to see if that is the case with this amp. I
have had these ICs go faulty, and this is the sorts of problems that they
can cause. I had one recently that kicked up a lot of noise on one channel,
above a certain volume level.

I put couple block diagrams in he

http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=896688.jpg

If I understand right, there is separate ICs for volume control(each
speaker pair) and input selector.

I would think that you would be able to see
this crackle on a 'scope, and then know for sure where it was getting into
the chain, but failing that, dabbing a 0.47uF cap to ground from various key
points, such as the output of the volume control IC, might prove revealing.

I don't have oscilloscope, only basic multimeter. And I don't fully
understand what you mean this dabbing.