Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default water softener assembly from parts?

On 2007-08-29 00:03:12 +0100, Unix Guru said:

Si wrote:
Kinetico is one of the water softener brands which are very much sold
rather than bought and have a high mark-up to suit. I chose an Atlantis
precisely because it was simply made using standard parts. I would avoid
using the drinking water kit that they give you 'free' though - the
connections on are uncommon so you're forced to use their cartridges the
price of which have gone from GBP11.75 to GBP22 in less than 3 years.

I bought a Kinetico because I liked the idea of a non-electric metered
unit with its constant supply of softened water. Had the unit been more
reliable then I would have been happy. But evidently the price commanded
by this product didn't translate into quality or reliability. I'll never
buy a Kinetico again.

Shame really.

I bought mine for much the same reason, and apart from the initial
outlay, have spent about £30 on bits for it in over 20 years.

Howevr, had I experienced the same failures I would make the same
decision about now buying one again.

The good news is that there are plenty of other metered valve controls
around nowadays so you can still have the same principle, which I think
is a good one. Some may need a little DC power supply, but I don't
see a big issue with that. I just rather like the metering idea, and
salt consumption is pretty good.