Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Sealing SonoTube for use as an access port

Big_Jake wrote in
ups.com:

On Aug 27, 10:23 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
"J.A. Michel" wrote
:

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I want to use a SonoTube as an access port for an underground
valve. The valve will be about 4' under ground. I thought if I
painted the ST and wrapped it in plastic it would hold up much
better. It won't last a thousand years, but it should meet my
needs. I'll insulate the Tube to prevent freezing.

Any ideas on the best way to mummify my Tube?

Why not use use an actual underground valve box?
Look hehttp://www.doityourself.com/invt/8483505

It can be cut/modified to suit your needs. Beats a sonotube.

For some reason he needs it 4 feet underground.

You live somewhere warm, Al? My street shut off for my water is right
about 5' down.

Not any more Jake. Winter lows minus 30 here. Last year was in NC almost
in SC. Water meter within elbow reach.

All the original ones in the neighborhood are fairly thin metal pipes,
and often the ground has shifted and make them hard to work with, but
I would think that new ones would use 4" PVC for access with a street
key. Way cheaper than a sonotube too, and I would think you could use
a screw in plug on top to cover it, and maybe a T on the bottom to run
the pipe and valve through.

If I was really curious, through, I would drive into a new
construction subdivision and look at what they have.

JK