Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default House shifting off foundation

On Aug 28, 7:01 pm, "EXT" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
EXT wrote:
Is this a troll -- to have a house move 3" on a slab foundation ...

...pushed the house about 3 inches forward on the poured
concrete foundation basement. ...

It was clearly stated NOT constructed on a slab...

If the house was NOT on a slab, but on a regular poured concrete or concrete
block foundation, it will be impossible to drag the house back without
collapsing some of the walls, in fact I cannot believe that the house has
moved 3" on such a foundation without some damage, especially since 2x4s
would only be left with about a 1/2" purchase on the edge of such foundation
walls. Must be a troll.

- "especially since 2x4s would only be left with about a 1/2"
purchase on the edge of such foundation walls."

I'm not saying it's not a troll, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding the
significance of what your are saying.

My house sits atop a block wall. There's a 2 x 6 sill plate lying flat
on top of the blocks and the first floor joists sit on top of that.
Theoretically the house could slide 3" in any direction and the
"worst" sill plate would still have 2 1/2" purchase.