Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Explosive gases

wrote:
On Aug 28, 2:17 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:
A few days back somebody posted a link to an outfit that sells mole
eradicating equipment (extremely spendy). Basically you fill their tunnels
with a combination of gas and oxygen and then light the stuff. They have a
video that shows their tunnels exploding and dirt flying about 2 feet into
the air. I would like to make my own setup.

Question:
What combination of fuel/air gives you an explosion. Can I assume that the
same combination that gives me a neutral flame with my Oxy/Acet setup will
provide an explosion. I once tried to get rid of gophers by letting propane
into their tunnel. I simply place a hose in their hole and opened the
propane bottle valve. Left it on for about 10 minutes then lit it with a
match. Got an initial small 'whoosh' upon lighting and it subsequently
burned for about 5-6 minutes. I got a small flame at my point of entry and
at two other remote sites (10-15 foot radius). Certainly no explosion and
plenty of time for the gopher(s) to get away.

Even if I come up with an explosive mixture, won't these critters simply
move on because of the odor? They'll probably be gone before I have a
chance to strike a match.

Comments welcome. Suggestions that I am being stupid and might endanger my
life are also welcome.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

Dave

Biggest home-made explosion I ever saw was a 55 gallon plastic drum,
stoichiometric o/a mix, model rocket engine and electric ignitor hooked
to a timer, set afloat in the middle of a lake. Wow!!

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)