Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Explosive gases

On Aug 28, 9:21 am, (DT) wrote:
I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

A guy was killed in our neighborhood about ten years ago doing just that. He
was placing the bags inside a garbage can and filling them before lighting them
off. One when off from static spark while he was leaning over to fill it and it
took him out.

--
Dennis

Our shots were always filled by remote, ignited by remote, and always
placed out in the open, away from anything that could fly. All it did
was flatten the grass a bit.

I have to imagine that result could be changed dramatically by just a
small amount of confinement.

Filled via surgical tubing, torch head removed prior to firing,
ignition provided by 3 strands from a lamp-cord taped to the bag prior
to filling. The wire was clamped in some 'gator clips attached to an
extension cord. Plug that sucker in, and the white-hot copper, plus
the arc, guaranteed ignition.

Dave