Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Explosive gases

wrote:

On Aug 28, 2:17 am, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

A few days back somebody posted a link to an outfit that sells mole
eradicating equipment (extremely spendy). Basically you fill their tunnels
with a combination of gas and oxygen and then light the stuff. They have a
video that shows their tunnels exploding and dirt flying about 2 feet into
the air. I would like to make my own setup.

Question:
What combination of fuel/air gives you an explosion. Can I assume that the
same combination that gives me a neutral flame with my Oxy/Acet setup will
provide an explosion. I once tried to get rid of gophers by letting propane
into their tunnel. I simply place a hose in their hole and opened the
propane bottle valve. Left it on for about 10 minutes then lit it with a
match. Got an initial small 'whoosh' upon lighting and it subsequently
burned for about 5-6 minutes. I got a small flame at my point of entry and
at two other remote sites (10-15 foot radius). Certainly no explosion and
plenty of time for the gopher(s) to get away.

Even if I come up with an explosive mixture, won't these critters simply
move on because of the odor? They'll probably be gone before I have a
chance to strike a match.

Comments welcome. Suggestions that I am being stupid and might endanger my
life are also welcome.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

I have filled 30gal trashbags with acet+ox, most impressive explosion
with no 'containment' around it. It seems like it would be a bit much-
you'll get much more than a little dirt geyser, you'll likely get a
trench.

Dave

I was in the local tech college workshop when there as an almighty
bang, the lecturer ran in to see what had happened. It seemed some
trainee machinist had filled his lunch bag with OA mix and lit it
resulting in the bang. The trainee was stunned but OK and his hearing
was not great for awhile. The lecturer didn't even bollock him as he
thought he had learned his lesson and come out OK and wouldn't be stupid
enough to do it again.