Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] farmerjoe@noemail.com is offline

Default House shifting off foundation

This is about my neighbors house. They live nearby and we recently
had real heavy rain and flooding. The water came down the hill behind
his house and pushed the house about 3 inches forward on the poured
concrete foundation basement. The house is still solid, but they are
worried about further rain, which is predicted. Yesterday he had a
guy come with a skidloader and dig a trench around the rear of the
house, put down plastic tarps closer to the house and put the soil
from the trench on top. He said that way the water should channel
around the house, and that seems to make sense.

What he cant figure is how to get the house pulled back the 3" it
shifted. Knowing this guy, he wont hire any outside pros. He built
the house himself and insists he can get it back where it belongs. I
explained to him that he neglected to bolt the house to the concrete
walls, and he agreed and said he plans to do it as soon as the house
is pulled back. The question is how to get the house pulled back. He
seems to think he can do it with a few come-alongs. I personally dont
think that they are strong enough. This is a smaller house, but it's
still heavy. This house is in a rural area. My suggestion is two
powerful tractors with chains, and just inch it along. But then comes
the next question, what to hook the chains to? I think the sill plate
would just pull off and chains or steel cables need to go around the
entire house, and said to take off the bottom siding before doing it.
What do you think?

On the other hand, I thought he could add a layer of brick on the
inside of the basement in the rear and on the outside in front, but
that almost seems like more work, and definately more cost than
pulling the house back.

He was lucky to not have any pipes or wires break, and there is no
solid chimney so there is little to worry about except the house
itself. The house is only 3 years old, stick built framed with vinyl
siding.

Joe