Posted to alt.home.repair
Uncle Monster Uncle Monster is offline

Default Seeking Suggestions/Tips before covering up the central A/C forthe season.

Holy Moses wrote:
I guess I'll be opening up the panels and get any debris or dust that
may have accumulated in the fins, but besides that, are there other
procedures I should perform before I cover up the central A/C until
next summer?

Yes, it's already getting chilly here in Edmonton, Alberta. There's
even a frost warning out for overnight. So, I figure using the A/C
won't be necessary until next summer.

Oh, and another thing, someone in another forum recommended that I
rinse the coils with some boraic acid solution, then muratic solution
and anybody know where I might be able to find some? Thanks.

Holy cow! Don't use acid on your AC unit. Some of the professional
cleaning chemicals are acid based but I only use the alkaline
based cleaner and I rinse it out thoroughly. Here in the states,
the big box stores stock a foaming cleaner in a spray can that is
safe to use by a homeowner. When you're rinsing your AC unit with
a water hose, be careful because a full pressure stream can bend
the fins over. Another consideration is the fact that your AC unit
compressor may have a crankcase heater, it's purpose is to prevent
liquid freon from collecting in the compressor when it is off. The
reason for concern is that the heat could attract insects and small
critters to build nests around the nice warm compressor. I've had
to clean out quite few of them when warm weather starts. You can
kill the power to the AC for the winter but you will have to
remember to turn it back on a day before you crank it up for next
season. That will give the compressor plenty of time to warm up.
Before you start it up next spring, open it up and check for insects
and critters that may have taken up residence over the winter.

[8~{} Uncle Monster