Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.lasers,sci.optics
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Looking to repair a fiber optic cable on a MPS-8033

Jay writes:

Hello all,

I have a piece of test equipment that needs repair, and which goes beyond
my skills in the field of electronics. It's a 1550nm ILX Lightwave
MPS-8033/03, which has had a botched repair attempt - The fiber optic
cable between the laser and the front panel was severely kinked (pretty
much 180 degrees!), and no longer appears to conduct light.

The instrument can be seen he
http://www.ilxlightwave.com/propgs/f...ents_8033.html

The laser is from Lucent technologies, and looking at a PDF of the device
it would appear that the 32" of fiber optic cable comes with the laser -
in other words, not detachable. So, basically, I'm looking for a
professional in the US (I am located in MA) who can cut about 3" of the
cable out, then splice it, as I have neither the tools nor the knowledge
to do so myself. I would also be interested in any tips on reasonably
priced repair facilities that do this kind of work. (The manufacturer
wants a ridiculous amount for the repair.)

With the proper equipment (fusion splicer, some experience) this shouldn't
be difficult.

However, when you say "kinked 180 degrees", are you sure it's really broken
internally? That's the only way it would fail. How tight is the kink? And
how did it get kinked? A dead laser would produce the same symptoms, right?

Will also post to sci.optics .

If interested, please email 66gtojayw AT comcast.net, or reply here in the
groups. Thanks!