Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Help on old Delta-Milwaukee surface grinder

On Aug 27, 5:47 pm, "David Anderson"
wrote:
I own an ancient Delta-Milwaukee "Toolmaker" surface grinder ...
...Lately, after
months of idleness, the surface finish after taking only a light 0.002-inch
pass is terrible. I have no operating manual or parts book; can't even find
the serial number.. The brass nameplate says "Only use balanced wheels".
Any suggestions as to a remedy, and who can balance a grinding wheel?
Thanks, Dave Anderson

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...structions.pdf

I don't believe they are capable of the smoothness of a normal surface
grinder due to flex in the bolt-on round column that supports the
swivel head. Mine only gives a smooth ripple-free finish if I feed it
one division (0.0005") or less and turn the Y feed slowly so left and
right passes are slightly diagonal to break up the self-reinforcing
washboard-road effect.

Jim Wilkins