Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question: Registry Edit Programs

On 2007-08-27 23:24:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Andy Hall wrote:

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.

I know. I am posting on one as I write.

What more do you need?

Application software beyond graphics design would be a start.

Ability to run my scanner and polotter would be an added bounus. This
one can't do either.

an 11 year old (in Jurassic Park) "knows"
it - even under stress - although that was SGI.

? so waht ?

Natively, it has all that I need - Apple Mail actually works properly
with IMAP (Outlook, well....), and I have a choice of News readers (very
important) and even MS Orifice if I want to kill people with Powerpoint
(which is rare).

Exactly, if thats *all* you need its a nice, if overpriced toy.

So the bread and butter stuff is handled.

Man does not live by bread alone...

Then if I have to run any legacy applications, I can run either
Parallels or VMWare to provide a virtual PC.

Not on a G4 you can't.

This has considerable
advantages. With the Windows monitor (It isn't an operating system), I
can arrange a complete virtual machine with all updates applied and keep
a copy of it as an image. When it breaks (with the same inevitability
as Peter Parry's Saniflo), I can just dump the offending copy and be
back in operation in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively, I can have whichever flavour of Linux I like at the flick
of an image.

On the Intel platform, this all runs very well

This isn't an intel platform

The market thinks so as well.

No, it doesn't.

I'm really glad that I bought and sold VMWare stock - more than 75% gain
in a few days :-)

So you can run windows on a mac. Why not just run windows?