dg

Default Stairs and supporting walls

No.

A standard flight of stairs is supported only at two locations - the bottom
(your floor) and the top (your ceiling). The load of the steps is taken by
the strings at each side of the flight.

In your situation, you would have to place a trimmer or other beam at the
top of the flight which would integrate with your new floor joists.
It should be a straight forward job.

dg

"PosherPants" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking of converting the loft of my one-bedroom bungalow into
two bedrooms with a dorma roof extending right along the back of the
house. And would also like to extend the lower floor by about 2-4
metres. If possible, the dorma would also come out over this extension
slightly to get bigger bedrooms.

The best place for the stairs would be towards the center of the house
off the small hallway.

My main question is - do stairs have to be built into a supporting
wall?

The only internal supporting walls I can find in my house are in a
small rectangle around the chimney breast, which isn't close to the
hallway. These feel like solid stone. All other internal walls sound
like hollow stud walls.

My house is only about 9 metres wide and 6 metres deep. It was built
in 1970 and appears to be built of brick with a plasterboard skin.

Any advice appreciated.
Posherpants