Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Homeowner Well Pump installation?

Bonzai wrote:
I understand this, and I even offered a less substantial profit on the
parts. The pump I'm looking at (http://www.envisupply.com/pumps/
well_pumps.htm) is $762 and they want to charge me $1,485 for it. A
couple hundred profit on a part I can understand, but $700? ...

Then you're not in retail. Take that $700, divide it up amongst the
driller and his crew, add in a little for such incidentals as his
insurance and benefits costs, office/warehouse expense, etc., and decide
if he's _really_ getting rich or not. I'd guess not...

I know bits and pieces. I understand the various components of a well
and generally how they are supposed to go together, though I've never
lived anywhere that had one.

I'm pretty handy, and I'm general contracting my house. I did all of
the electrical in my last house, and plan on doing both electrical and
plumbing in this one.

You got (or want to rent or build) the rig to hang 200 ft of pipe/well
down the hole and be _sure_ you don't drop it, etc., etc., etc., ...???

You'll have your hands full w/ the house methinks. I cringe when write
the check to the well guy here when needed (almost identical in
depth/water level, etc.), but I personally don't really want to have to
deal w/ the hassles when it comes to pulling it, etc. Once in,
maintenance or repair of the occasional above ground item is something
else again as long as one has sufficient knowledge to diagnose the
problem...

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., ...