Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Help identify a connector

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:42:14 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Can anyone help identify this electronics connector? This is on a medical
instrument (Topcon retinal camera, model TRC-50EX) from the 1990s:

http://www.truetex.com/mystery_connector.htm

I thought it was some custom item, but then I saw something similar to the
female side on a Motorola walkie-talkie recently.

Yup, it looks very much like the accessory pins/connectors
for Motorola portable radios. Sometimes you could get the
individual pins from Motorola parts, sometimes they were
sold via assembly only. I used to steal them from bad
speaker mics and such to fix others. If you just want some
of the pins to play with try asking at your local Motorola
repair shop. If you are lucky and run into a pack rat like
myself, they may have a box full of cast-offs you could
have/pick through. The female or flat side was usually part
of the frame/housing.

It has been a few years now, but the Visar series used very
similar pins and the housing (on the accessory side) could
be disassembled most of the time. The best place to find the
part numbers for them (Motorola) was for the programming
cables. Of course several other portables had them too. If
you want to try this, take your parts along with you so a
side-by-side comparison can be done.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b