Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Removing exterior door without damage

on 8/27/2007 12:25 AM aemeijers said the following:
"stupidgringo" wrote in message
oups.com...

I installed two sets of exterior french doors about three months ago.
I installed them incorrectly - the jambs are flush with the studs
instead of the drywall. Now it's time to install molding and I'd like
to fix my mistake.
I caulked with silicone caulk under the theshhold. Having done so, can
I remove these doors to re-install them without damaging the
threshold?

I ask because when I've removed exterior doors in the past, the
threshold has stuck and been ruined by removal. Those doors were new
construction doors and I don't know if it was caulk or something else
creating the adhesion.

I'd fake it with some square stock on the edge of the jamb. Probably have
to rip to fit. Maybe even cut the drywall back a tad to make room- not a
problem as long as casing will cover it.

I had a similar problem with narrow jambed doors in a wide rough
opening. I used 3/4" round molding to cover the gap between the casement
molding and the door jamb.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY