Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Is Acetone Save For Vinyl Windows?

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:1188175566.756225.183080
@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

I'm going to be replacing my windows soon. I plan to use minimal
expanding foam to fill the gaps.

The Great Stuff for windows (blue can, "Will not bow frames") says
uncured foam can be removed with acetone. Can I assume that the
acetone will not harm the vinyl?

I've been practicing trying to neatly fill a 1/8" gap with the
supplied straw and it's pretty tough, even after pinching the straw so
it will fit into the gap.

Do I need to put foam in a 1/8" (or smaller) gap?

(This is the side gap I expect since I'm told my windows will be 1/4"
narrower than the rough opening.)

Thanks!

Call it amateur but I just ran tape on the sides (drywall and jamb) of
the gap knowing how messy that crap can be. Next day just pull the tape
and whack off whatever protruded with a razor.

Maybe pros can't afford to spend the time to do that (or because they are
pros they don't have to do it) but the bottom line is I got a clean flush
surface from the jamb to the drywall.