Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is Acetone Save For Vinyl Windows?

On Aug 26, 10:22 pm, Warren Block wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm going to be replacing my windows soon. I plan to use minimal
expanding foam to fill the gaps.

The Great Stuff for windows (blue can, "Will not bow frames") says
uncured foam can be removed with acetone. Can I assume that the
acetone will not harm the vinyl?

I wouldn't. Instead, I'd suggest the DAP latex-based expanding foam.
It cleans up with water.

If you insist on using the sticky Great Stuff (wear gloves), remove the
extra after it's dry. The limited-expansion stuff sets soft and you can
just tear it off with your fingers or cut it with a utility knife.

Do I need to put foam in a 1/8" (or smaller) gap?

Absolutely. It might work to tape a smaller tube to the main tube,
something small enough to fit in the gap.

- If you insist on using the sticky Great Stuff (wear gloves), remove
the
- extra after it's dry. The limited-expansion stuff sets soft and you
can
- just tear it off with your fingers or cut it with a utility knife.

OK, I'm a little confused, and I hope a call to DOW will clear it up.
I'll let you know what they say. For now, here's my confusion...

The can of Great Stuff Window and Door (the one that claims it bonds
to vinyl, wood and metal surfaces) says:

"Clean Up - Solid Surfaces: Uncured foam dissolves with acetone. For
skin and solid surfaces, cured foam must be mechanically removed or
allowed to wear off in time."

Now, I assume that while trying to fill a 1/8" gap, I'm going to get
some on the face of the vinyl window. The can says I can clean it up
with acetone, but you folks say that the acetone will damage the
vinyl. Would DOW really offer clean-up instructions that might damage
the very surfaces they say to use it on?

On the other hand, how would I ''mechanically" remove the cured foam
from the vinyl with out damaging the surface? Will it just roll up
like rubber cement and peel off? It certainly doesn't just peel off
the wood on the practice jigs I made. Yes, I can cut the big lumps off
with a knife, but I doubt I want to use any tools to scrape it off the
vinyl.

It's interesting that none of the videos at dowgreatstuff.com show it
being used on vinyl windows or in gaps as small as I expect to have.
It's time for a call to 1-800-800-FOAM.

Stay tuned!