Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

on 8/26/2007 9:48 PM Pete C. said the following:
willshak wrote:

on 8/26/2007 7:15 PM Pete C. said the following:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 26, 12:34 pm, "Pete C." wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:08 am, Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article ,

Jethro wrote:

Do all of your corded phones plug into your house electrical system?

As I tried to say - no. Two phones are 'corded'. That is - they plug
directly into bedroom wall outlets (phone outlets). So I figure they
do not depend on 'house electricity' at all.

Those are known as "line powered" sets.

It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered (corded)
telephones. I inform them that it is prudent to have at least ONE such phone
on hand in the event of a power failure.

More and more folks are depending solely on cordless telephony and wireless
(cell) phones. I am still unconvinced that the "cell" phone network(s) is AS
reliable as the public switched (wired) network, much less MORE reliable,
particularly in the aftermath of a genuine disaster.

As wireless telephony continues to proliferate, is capacity is increased.
However, a disaster is hopefully confined to a small(er) area. In such an
event, the few "cell" sites serving that area would likely be overwhelmed.
Remember: Such service is wireless ONLY until it reaches the nearest tower,
where it rides on land lines and the public switched network.
--

JR Writes:

- It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered
(corded) telephones.

While I understand your amazment, have you tempered that with the
extra cost for those of us who subscribe to the "all-in-one" services
of a cable company?

I don't believe that I can have a line-powered phone unless I re-
subscribe with my telco and get a separate number. Since my modem is
dependent on power, I loose all of my phones, corded or not, during a
power outage. I would need to pay the full cost of a residential phone
service for the rare occasions when the power goes out.

I'm already paying for the cable company's phone service and a couple
of cell phones (which can be charged up/powered by my car or portable
jumpstart unit) so I'm not sure that paying for a line-powered backup
system makes economic sense.

Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a $75
(if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the cable
companies backup power for their line gear. I have a fairly large UPS
(1420VA) that happily powers my cable modem, router, network switch and
web/mail/vru/storage server for over an hour and a half. I also have two
generators that I can bring online if needed.- Hide quoted text -

- Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a
$75
- (if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the
cable
- companies backup power for their line gear.

Very true, but what does that have to do with JR's amazement when he
encounters "a household with NO line-powered (corded) telephones"?

It's a solution for your cable based phones and others cordless phones.

That's assuming that the power outage is localized to the home owner's
area. If the cable transmission company has suffered a power loss and
has no generator backup, then a home owner's backup power supply is useless.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The cable companies do have backup power. The line power supplies have
battery backup and for extended outages they will bring out a small
Honda generator and chain it at the base of the pole. I've never lost my
cable feed here during a power failure.

Sorry, my experience is different. During Hurricane Floyd in Sept. 1999,
we lost power for 72 hours. I hooked up my 5500 watt generator and
everything in the house worked... except the cable TV (TWC). During the
last two days, we were watching movies on VHS and DVD. The cable
substation is about 10 miles from me. The cable TV, nor the cable
broadband, did not come back on until the electric power came back on.
We did not have VoIP, but the telephone worked. It is one reason why I
don't want VoIP.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY