Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Is Acetone Save For Vinyl Windows?

on 8/26/2007 8:46 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:
I'm going to be replacing my windows soon. I plan to use minimal
expanding foam to fill the gaps.

The Great Stuff for windows (blue can, "Will not bow frames") says
uncured foam can be removed with acetone. Can I assume that the
acetone will not harm the vinyl?

I've been practicing trying to neatly fill a 1/8" gap with the
supplied straw and it's pretty tough, even after pinching the straw so
it will fit into the gap.

Do I need to put foam in a 1/8" (or smaller) gap?

(This is the side gap I expect since I'm told my windows will be 1/4"
narrower than the rough opening.)

Thanks!

In my short career as a house builder, all the gaps between rough
opening framing and the window or door framing was done with pieces of
glass wool insulation stuffed in with a putty knife. It is not the
material that provides insulation, but the air trapped within it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY