Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Is Acetone Save For Vinyl Windows?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:46:06 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm going to be replacing my windows soon. I plan to use minimal
expanding foam to fill the gaps.

The Great Stuff for windows (blue can, "Will not bow frames") says
uncured foam can be removed with acetone. Can I assume that the
acetone will not harm the vinyl?

No! It (Acetone) can harm it. IMO! A wet finger tip on a cotton rag
piece may get by, but don't press your luck on vinyl. Lightly use
acetone in this case.

I've been practicing trying to neatly fill a 1/8" gap with the
supplied straw and it's pretty tough, even after pinching the straw so
it will fit into the gap.

Do I need to put foam in a 1/8" (or smaller) gap?

(This is the side gap I expect since I'm told my windows will be 1/4"
narrower than the rough opening.)

Thanks!

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."