Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 26, 12:34 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:08 am, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,

Jethro wrote:
Do all of your corded phones plug into your house electrical system?
As I tried to say - no. Two phones are 'corded'. That is - they plug
directly into bedroom wall outlets (phone outlets). So I figure they
do not depend on 'house electricity' at all.

Those are known as "line powered" sets.

It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered (corded)
telephones. I inform them that it is prudent to have at least ONE such phone
on hand in the event of a power failure.

More and more folks are depending solely on cordless telephony and wireless
(cell) phones. I am still unconvinced that the "cell" phone network(s) is AS
reliable as the public switched (wired) network, much less MORE reliable,
particularly in the aftermath of a genuine disaster.

As wireless telephony continues to proliferate, is capacity is increased.
However, a disaster is hopefully confined to a small(er) area. In such an
event, the few "cell" sites serving that area would likely be overwhelmed.
Remember: Such service is wireless ONLY until it reaches the nearest tower,
where it rides on land lines and the public switched network.
--

JR Writes:

- It still amazes me when I encounter a household with NO line-powered
(corded) telephones.

While I understand your amazment, have you tempered that with the
extra cost for those of us who subscribe to the "all-in-one" services
of a cable company?

I don't believe that I can have a line-powered phone unless I re-
subscribe with my telco and get a separate number. Since my modem is
dependent on power, I loose all of my phones, corded or not, during a
power outage. I would need to pay the full cost of a residential phone
service for the rare occasions when the power goes out.

I'm already paying for the cable company's phone service and a couple
of cell phones (which can be charged up/powered by my car or portable
jumpstart unit) so I'm not sure that paying for a line-powered backup
system makes economic sense.

Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a $75
(if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the cable
companies backup power for their line gear. I have a fairly large UPS
(1420VA) that happily powers my cable modem, router, network switch and
web/mail/vru/storage server for over an hour and a half. I also have two
generators that I can bring online if needed.- Hide quoted text -

- Considering the low power consumption of your cable phone router, a
$75
- (if that) UPS would keep it running for at least as long as the
cable
- companies backup power for their line gear.

Very true, but what does that have to do with JR's amazement when he
encounters "a household with NO line-powered (corded) telephones"?

It's a solution for your cable based phones and others cordless phones.