Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

mm wrote:

No solution for you, jut a story.

When a storm knocked a small telephone pole down, so that they cable
for our 109 houses went into the stream, the phone company came out I
think but didn't tell me, though I had called.

I should say that all the phones were working fine, even with the wire
under water when it rained.

When I called again a couple months later, after that I could see
where the electric company had come out and marked wires, to say they
weren't theirs or something.

It took 2 1/2 years before they replaced the pole.

I had called a total of 4 times.

I wouldn't have kept calling them if they had acknowledged any of my
calls and told me it could take years. I could live with that. The
phone worked fine, although I did suspect that my low dial-up speeds
were because of it, but I'm convinced now that they weren't.

Generally, the phone companies are not interested in fixing anything
unless service is actually out or there is some hazard for which they
could get sued. I have reported trees that had fallen over and
were held up by nothing more than the phone cable. They told me that
they would not do anything unless it came down.