Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:
M Q wrote:

dpb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Certainly it _might_, but there's no way they can regulate 100%
reliability. Only if there is something so fundamentally flawed in
their system that is fixable would there be a possibility of
regulatory violation. That is possible, of course, but wouldn't be my
first choice of likely outcomes...

--
Nobody is talking about 100% reliability. But power failures are not
uncommon and can be planned for. ...

No, but it depends on what the root cause of this outage is and the
frequency vs cost of fixing the problem (and, of course, what any actual
regulation is in the State wherein OP resides)...

My first bet of any outcome will be the telco is within the letter of
any pertinent regulation...

--

The main point is that mentioning the E911 issue to the Telco might perk
their ears up enough that they actually dispatch a tech to investigate

That _is_ a possibility unless they already know what is the cause of
why they lose power in that section (which I would also suspect to be
the case at least in Engineering although a complaint-taker robot
certainly won't know nor have any such information available)...

But, if it's such a frequent event as to be a problem for OP, that would
certainly be at least one avenue to pursue.

We're on a rural line and phone hangs in there most of the time when
power is out, but sometimes it just happens that whatever takes the
power takes 'em both. Once in a while it's the other way 'round, too.
Sh^htuff happens and to have it otherwise implies the 100% reliability
problem.

So it returns to a question of "how often and why" and whether that is
or isn't up to the standards of the particular State regulatory body.
And again, my guess would be the telco makes pretty sure to ensure that.
But again, never hurts to use the club if it's a problem, just don't
be overly optimistic it will cause a change.