Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Computer ATX PS near meltdown

"JR North" wrote in message
.. .

I noticed will surfing a couple days ago the PS fan rpm was surging up and
down; most peculiar. I almost absent-mindedly shut the computer down
instead of just logging off. Good thing. Next day, I fired it up, and
within a few minutes, started noticing the Smell Of Death. I felt the back
of the 'Puter-very hot. Shut it down, pulled the ATX ps and replaced the
cooling fan in it with a nice 80mm BB one I had in stock. Now running nice
and cool, and some issues I had with the monitor not resuming after
standby also gone. Possible PS issue there?
JR
--

A bad power supply can cause all sorts of weird issues, if it got that hot
you might look for bulging electrolytic capacitors in it.