Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default custom tail lights

Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" is working on his super modified Mustang. He needs to make custom
tail light covers or lens (donno what to call them) Anybody know how this is
done?

Karl

There's a kit you can buy to cast your own. You'd need an original as a
pattern or create one. Kit then uses some kind of rubber to make the
mold, then some kind of clear plastic two part casting resin, with some
red dye added. I think you can get these from some of the car
restoration mail order companies, heck maybe even JC Witneys. I saw
the results, looked very good, some polishing was required to make the
finished side look 'factory', but it definitely didn't look homemade.

As I recall the kits were somewhat pricey, but with a bit of research
one should be able to come up with suitable mold and casting medium.
Probably the hardest thing would be getting the right tint for the red
color additive.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.