Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Vibration/Noise from Metal Gate Hinge

PeteR presented the following explanation :
Next door have an ironwork gate between their house and ours. The
hinges are mounted on our wall - (brick built).
When they slam the gate there is an awful clang, rattle and vibration.

I am thinking of volunteering to seat the hinge brackets on some
flexible vibration/noise absorbent material - foam rubber or the
like.

Do people think it will make any difference? - if so what material
would you suggest?

You could mount it on a solid rubber block, such that the gate hinge
fixing was separated from the fixing of the block to the wall. The
biggest difference you could make would be to add a rubber cushion of
some sort to the gates closure to prevent the clang as it closes.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)