Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms Richard Thoms is offline

Default House plumbing pressure?

Quote: e01e wrote on Sat, 25 August 2007 13:49
Our house has city water for everything but the outside faucets, which
are fed by a well. The well has died, so I plan on cutting the copper
pipe coming from the well, and connecting it into the copper city water
line just after the shutoff valve where it comes into the house.
Luckily, the two lines are only about 3 feet apart from each other. I
have never worked with copper pipes before, only plastic. I thought
about practicing sweating joints first on small scrap pieces of pipe,
sealing one end, and pressurizing the pipe with my air compressor to
check for leaks before I attempt this for real on my house plumbing.
What kind of pressure is in a typical house with city water plumbing? I
am nervous about this project, cause once I cut into the house line, I
will have to finish it, and do it right or I will not have any water in
the house at all till it IS right. Any thoughts/tips/suggestions are
appreciated! Thanks, Earl

I know any self-respecting professional plumber would probably not use these but the last copper plumbing job I did (replacing hot water heater) I found some "pre soldered" fittings at Home Depot.

See: http://www.nextag.com/no-solder-copp...gs/search-html

These fittings have the solder built into the little "bump" and you just clean the pipe (I put flux on too) and hit them with the torch and when they get to temp the solder flows and you've got a good joint.

I could only find them at Home Depot (not Lowes).

--
Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.