Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North JR North is offline

Default Computer ATX PS near meltdown

I noticed will surfing a couple days ago the PS fan rpm was surging up
and down; most peculiar. I almost absent-mindedly shut the computer down
instead of just logging off. Good thing. Next day, I fired it up, and
within a few minutes, started noticing the Smell Of Death. I felt the
back of the 'Puter-very hot. Shut it down, pulled the ATX ps and
replaced the cooling fan in it with a nice 80mm BB one I had in stock.
Now running nice and cool, and some issues I had with the monitor not
resuming after standby also gone. Possible PS issue there?
JR