Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default venting a bathroom fan

I agree, those remote Fantechs are really nice, when I've used those I use
4" PVC to duct them. I'm not a real Panasonic fan, especially not with an 8"
duct, but they are silent

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
beecrofter wrote:
On Aug 25, 10:17 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

Any good fan is going to have a 4" duct, I'm partial to the Ultra Quiet
Broan fans. I usually use aluminum vent pipe, but plastic would be great
as
well

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

It'll be outside the tub (was thinking simply dead center in the
ceiling,)
but I plan on running everything through a GFCI anyway (since my mental
plans call for a three gang switch box with light switch, fan switch,
and
GFCI receptacle.) I suspect that one 90 degree bend will do it, would
you
use rigid metal duct or PVC? 3" or 4"?

Also due to the age of the house I think a metal fan housing would be
appropriate, either nickel, chrome, or stainless. any recommendations
for
a high quality fan unit that would look right in a late-40's house?

Another option would be a through-the-wall unit with a louvered vent,
are
those still made? Although I am thinking that the ceiling might be
better
as there is limited wall space in the bathroom and I'm sure SWMBO will
eventually want to hang some pictures or other decorative froof.

thanks,

nate

RBM wrote:

Unless you have local codes preventing it, that is how most bath vents
are done in my area. Do use something other than plastic dryer vent for
the duct. The smoother the better, with the least amount of bends. If
you
locate the fan directly over the tub, it'll need GFCI protection

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

one of my projects this fall is to update the wiring upstairs in my
house. I plan on replacing all the ceiling boxes with fan-rated ones,
dropping 14/3 switch legs to all the wall boxes for fans, and
replacing
all wiring with 14/3 Romex. Also pulling one new 14/2 homerun to
provide
for two separate general circuits (original homerun is 14/2 BX so it
is
grounded and doesn't need to be redone) and a 12/2 homerun for the
bathroom. While I'm at it I would like to add a ventilation fan in
the
bathroom to pull out the condensation while showering (currently using
window mounted fan) but I am not sure how to vent it.

I don't want to use a conventional stack through the roof as the roof
is
aluminum "shingles" and it appears a) hard to work with and b) hard to
walk on without damage. So I was thinking of using a dryer vent type
thing through the side wall of the attic. My question is, is this
acceptable by code, and even if so, are there any drawbacks to doing
this?

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Actually the "good" fans that are also quiet use 8" I am very happy
with the panasonic fan I installed recently. It makes the others sound
like a blender.

Have been doing a search, got another idea - what about using a remote
inline fan in the attic, with a simple grille in the ceiling? It would
seem that that would make for quieter operation.

nate