Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Anilam Miniwazard info, please...

Al, does your manual contain the diagnostic or self-test procedure?

The manual I have (a photocopy from Acu-Rite/Anilam) covers the Micro, Mini
and Wizard models, and Setup is described the same as what you stated (#8
key pressed 10 times).
The wording doesn't specifically state that the scales should be attached to
enter the Setup mode, but I believe they should be.

The Wizard Digital Readouts Operating Manual is p/n 70000119 which covers
the units with flat front panels with silkscreened, plastic sheet
overlay-membrane-like keypads (not hard button keys like most PC keyboards
have).
These membrane front panel models are early 1990s models, IIRC.

I don't know if you've removed the front panel to see if any unmarked
switches exist behind the plastic overlay, or if you've just felt that there
may be holes in the metal behind the overlay.
I've had both of my units apart, and have not found any unlabeled switches,
but I have noticed that different models use-or-omit certain functions at
the front panel (some have a hard on/off switch on the rear panel, and
others have a front keypad on/off soft switch, for example.. or any of 4
available output options for the Miniwizard model).

If you don't have the Diagnostic procedure in your literature, I'll type it
out if you want to see it. If your model isn't the same type that I've
described, it may not help.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Al A." wrote in message
. ..
Hi all.
The CNC repair guy that comes into the place I work gave me an older 2
axis DRO setup for nearly nothing the other day. He is a nice guy, I like
him. I am planning to put it on my old Sheldon lathe. The reader head on
the long scale was not working, but I managed, through some careful
surgery, to get it functioning again.

It is an Anilam "Miniwizard" readout. I downloaded a manual from the
anilam website. There seem to be lots of variants to the Miniwizard line,
but the manuals they have on line don't seem to cover my unit.It indicates
that by pushing the "8" button ten times, I can get into the "Setup" mode
to choose scale resolution, direction, Dia/radius, default to inch or
metric on power up, etc. Well, that don't work! He had mentioned that some
of these units have "hidden" buttons on the front panel, meaning that
they are there behind the flat flex panel, but are not labeled. I checked
that, and sure enough, there below the X and Y buttons are 3 secret
buttons. The problem is, I don't know how to use them. I tried pushing in
different combinations, etc, but nothing works. I would like to access
this so that I can use a different (physically smaller) scale that I have
for the X axis on my lathe.

Any of you guys have one of these units and know how to do this? Or have
a manual? Google has not been much help. I may try calling Anilam next
week sometime, but I have not had much luck with that in the past.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks for any ideas!

Best regards,
AL A.