Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Garage wiring

"Noozer" wrote in message
news:BtPzi.90871$fJ5.38454@pd7urf1no...
I have an unattached garage that I'm am planning to wire and I'd like some
advice...

Run from the house to the garage is about 80 feet. I'm looking at
installing a 60 amp or 100 amp service to the garage.

In the garage is an 8 breaker (16 half breaker) panel. I plan on using 15
amp breakers and 14gauge wiring for lighting and some outlets, 20 amp
breakers with 12gauge wiring for several outlets, and installing one or
two 220v outlets.

So, here are my questions...

- In my home, do I use a pair of 30 amp or 60 amp breakers?
- I know that I need two hots, a neutral and a ground to the garage.
Would this be considered two 30 amp circuits?
- What gauge wiring should I run, considering the distance from the panel

#6 copper is good for 60 amps, you may want to up it a size to #4 for the
distance, and you'd use a double pole 60 amp breaker

the garage?
- Is a 220v outlet as simple as wiring two hots (each on it's own breaker,
on opposite phases) and a ground, and no neutral?
- Although I'll have a small shop in my garage, are 20 amp outlets
overkill?

Again, use a double pole breaker

20 amp outlets are fine