Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Testing Western Digital Hard Drive Motor?

clifto wrote in
:

ken wrote:
I was afraid of doing any damage so probably did not hit the case
very hard but so far hitting the metal casing with the handle of a
screwdriver has done nothing.

Another trick I saw way back when was to put the drive in a plastic
zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for a day or two, then pull it
out *in the bag* and let it return to room temperature before removing
the bag.

If you're interested in more solutions like this, you might want to do a
Google Search for "200 ways to revive a hard drive". I'd link to a
direct document, but the first two results (which are probably what you
want to read) are PDFs. This way, you can use Google's "View as HTML"
option if you want.

Puckdropper