Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacing Alarm Keypad

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:13:44 -0700, Jason wrote:

The battery is in the control panel. Typically it's quite large as it
has to power the whole alarm system for hours. What makes you think
it's the keypad? If one key is intermittent, or similar, thenI'd say
its' the pad. If it's acting screwey, could be the controller, loose
connection, pad, etc.

My only reason for thinking that it's just the keypad is that the
incessant beep is coming from the keypad itself, not the siren. I

We know it's not the siren.

Do you have a manual? Have you read it? Reed it again. If you
haven't got one, find one, even from a different model if necessary
will likely have most of the same features.

What does it say about incessant beeping?

checked the connection and it seemed OK, so the only other things I
could come up with is (a) something on the circuit board, like a loose
wire, crossing paths, or (b) possibly a key is stuck and gives this
alarm when you press 2 keys at once.

Just wild guesses, really. That's why I turned to you guys, that I
figured would be more logical than me :-)

The battery is a definite possibility. The alarm is definitely more
than 5 years old, and although we haven't had a problem recently, the
power has flickered a lot this year.

Thanks, all,

Jason