Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default FL homeowner acting as a contractor must deduct F.I.C.A. and withholding tax

In article , dpb wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

They are certainly independent sub contractors but Florida law makes
the general contractor responsible for tax and insurance compliance.

Maybe for FL taxes and insurance purposes, but certainly FL would
have no sway over what the Feds require to make a person an employee and
thus responsible for FICA and Fed w/holding.

No, but they can (and apparently do) require you to adhere to a set of
rules before issuing a building permit which include assuming liability
for subcontractors...

Good point. I got focussed on the Fed part and forgot that the real
requirements were for the permit and the governmental unit can pretty
much require what they want to for the permit.