Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light The Reverend Natural Light is offline

Default Sealing interior basement walls

On Aug 23, 11:22 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:

Unless you can confirm that the pipes the downspouts drain into go into a
working drain and away from the house, I'd pull apart and cap those
connections, and add elbows and conventional splash blocks. When I did that
to this place, almost all the basement water problems magically went away.

I'll second that recommendation.

The builder of my place ran the downspouts into the foundation drains
(really!) which probably plugged up in the first season. The previous
owner watched the basement flood for 30+ years before hiring a
waterproofing contractor who jackhammered interior french drains and
installed a sump pit. What a rip off.

The first thing I did after buying the place was run the downspouts
into plastic pipes out across the lawn (someday I'll bury them). The
french drain has been dry for three years now.