Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes Lowell Holmes is offline

Default Beginner - making accurate 90 degree cuts by hand

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Lowell Holmes wrote:

:
: Or take a couple of classes and learn to cut them square by hand. Three
: days at Homestead Heritage or a similar school will leave you with the
: knowledge and skill to do it.

And three hours with a router and a jig will cut a bajillion
box joints cleaner and better than pretty much anyone could cut them by
hand.

AFAIK, box joints were always traditionally cut by machine.

-- Andy Barss

What in blazes does making box joints have to do with this string?

If I want to make box joints I do it on my cs. If I want to make dovetails I
have the choice of doing them by hand or on my Leigh jig. If I want to make
m&t joints I have a choice of making them by hand or on my cs and bs. The
question was how do you cut a square end on a board by hand.
When you are finishing a project and need to make small adjustments to your
piece, having a few hand skills is a real advantage. :-)