Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Micrometer refurbishment (partial)

On Aug 24, 9:52 am, wrote:
I have an old B&S #19 0-1" micrometer that is hard to read. The
numbers have been partially obscured because the metal has darkened
with age (and abuse by a former owner).

I lightly sanded the dark areas but it wasn't enough to bring out the
engraved numbers. I then used a magic marker to fill in the
engravings. That helped for awhile but it turns out that the
"permanent" designation on the magic marker isn't quite accurate.The
black color quickly disappeared.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what coloring agent to use instead.

Gary

The Stuff to use is a lacquer stick. Comes in a variety of colors,
you rub it in the engraved or stamped markings, let it set up and wipe
off the excess. Brownell's has it. Looks like a large crayon, best
kept in a sealed container when not in use. As permanent as such
stuff gets.

Stan